Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Painting A Day, That's All I Ask - Day 18

A Painting A Day - That's All I Ask
By Kate Pethoud

Well, it’s not like I invented it. I didn’t even think of it first but when I happened on a few similar painting-a-day websites I decided that these other like-minded artists were on to something. One painting a day. It shouldn't be too hard, but some days it is.

From the time I was really small I’ve always drawn, sketched or doodled something. My most favorite, wonderful gift in the world was a watercolor set that some neighbors gave to me when I was nine. I think it had 100 colors in it and I was so taken with it I didn’t know if I could even bring myself to use it, it was so beautiful. And then when Crayola made crayons of copper, gold and silver, I think I almost cried. I wanted so badly to use them but I wanted to keep them pristene almost as much. I liked model cars not because of the cars, although I do love cars, but I loved, loved, loved the tiny bottles of metallic paints.

With each art class I've taken there was an instructor who urged practice. I have taken a few drawing classes over the years and one from Georgia Herrick several years past and she too urged practice. I think I took her to heart the most and did my homework. I took a sketchpad with me everywhere and drew the trees in the parking lot, the car in front of me… I can now draw a VW without even looking at one… the perspective of the street or the buildings, the details in flowers, and while certainly I am far from perfect, practice does at least get you in line for being better. I probably draw four hours a day now, but things come a little easier, there's not so much erasing.

That said – I decided that if I want to be serious about my art practice would be everything so I set up a blog where I’d talk, minimally, and post daily, a piece or two of art that I’ve done that day. The purpose is to discipline myself to produce a piece of work every single day, and learn to not dawdle over something but take the first impression and get it down on paper – kind of like writing actually – but don’t fuss it up with what my brain is thinking about it because most things are over thought anyway. Just do it. Get my first gut impression and get it on the paper. It’s always the second guessing, adding that last line to a drawing, the last sentence in a written piece – the badda bing, badda bang – that screws it up.

To see how I’m doing on my daily quest to become better go to: http://katepethoud.blogspot.com and give me your comments, or tips, or buy a piece because they’re listed for sale too, but really I just want to paint or draw every day so that I get better.

So much for the minimal talking, huh?



Geraniums, 4.5 x 6 inches. Not for sale yet.
Spring Promise, 6 x 2.25, $$20 unmatted, unframed; $25 in a glass clip frame that measures 4 x 10 inches.




K

No comments:

Post a Comment