Saturday, June 19, 2010

NEW Paintings Today

Tulips on canvas board, 5x7




While at the Farmers Market today I had a chance to do some painting. Very small, but still, it was a beautiful day and it was so nice to see so many people out and buying things, healthy things. I'm always in love with color and sights and smells. When I was in Seattle I fell in love with Pikes Market. When I was in New York I could have stood on the street just drinking it all in for days. The Farmers Market here is smaller and doesn't have flying fish or racks of garments being tooled across the broad street in front of taxis chomping at the light like thoroughbreds at the track, but it does have cilantro wafting through the 6 a.m. air as it was being laid on the table. And  the mingled scents of fresh mint and basil, and popcorn, peaches and nectarines, and chicken on a stick. There's live music at either end of the block and probably what I loved the most were the kids. They are so small and they're decked out, in their sunglasses and hats. They're jumping from one yellow street divider dot to another and trying to balance their small selves on the half-rounds. They're in strollers, on bikes, in front packs, back packs, on shoulders. They're making observations and talking about them and I love that parents are exposing them to community. Hmm......too much?
Okay - here are the paintings.

Yellow Flowers, 4x6
On 140 lb watercolor paper     SOLD TO Julie Clary


The Market, 4x6
On 140 lb watercolor paper


No comments:

Post a Comment