Friday, April 22, 2011

Busy Keeping My Hands Busy

Here are some fun things I've brought out of the kiln.
I like working small. I like being able to have a lump of clay in my hand, not too small, not too large but something that I can watch turn into something right before my eyes. Some are simple - a little bowl for rings or salt, or a tiny Barbie cake, or bracelets. Or a tiny bird. I never know. I wait for the clay to tell me.
Here is a sampling of what it was telling me a few months ago.
I don't know if I actually like persimmons but I am fascinated by their form and color AND because I was watching a Heul Howser program on PBS about a farm in Granite Bay California at Otow Orchard and I fell in love with them. The history and how this family has dried persimmons for years in this painstaking, handworked process. You'll have to look it up online and watch it. It's fascinating. Anyway, that's the story on the persimmons - so I made some and I think they turned out pretty neat. I won't talk this much about everything.

The persimmons are hollow and fit in the palm of
your hand. Ceramic stoneware. Fired twice.


And I did a couple of funny little birds...




Clown Bird













And this funny dog.

And this tiny bowl - I love little birds. This is about 3 inches across.


That's it for me for now.

K

Oh and one more - oh.....two. No three more things.
I was stuck on very small pinch pots and these a sort of a nice
creamy color. Fired with only a clear glaze and tiny handmade
flowers. Great for rings. Tiny things.

Okay......she's the last one. I'm not sure what her name is yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment