Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Couple of New Things

As I've mentioned before, I am ever torn between clay work and painting. I love color (paint) but I really find it soothing to work with my hands smoothing, patting, carving a lump of clay into just something.Sometimes I start out with a plan but that's kind of rare. There are two ways I can look at this - either I'm totally rebellious by nature and just don't want to be told what to do.....and I could see how that might be correct but not terribly flattering; or, that I just want spontaneous design, when I sit down to make a bowl, it might want to turn into a multi-holed lamp, or a small dish might aspire to being a wonderfully appointed circus dog..... which as it turns out ......is just what happened.


Meet Beatrice, she's a real character.
If there's a good party around, she's in heaven,
and she really loves it when it's in her honor.



Meet Alice, she's sort of a dreamy, airy
character, humming and singing to herself all day.


Meet Pete. Pete is quite a guy and quite the looker too with that magnificent
nose and those long eyelashes. He's the Circus grip, a Pete-of-all-trades if
you will. If anyone needs anything fixed, they come to Pete.

Meet Cornelious. He's one of my favorites. He's happy,
friendly and a joy to have around. At the moment he's celebrating
his birthday.


Meet Max. He's a lover of cards. He sort of fancies
himself he "big dealer". I told him that it's not such a great profession
to go into but he didn't listen. He blew to pieces in the
kiln the other day and while I have most of his parts,
one is never quite the same after such a difficult
surgery. *sigh*

Now......painting. I've been working with watercolor for a while and decided to change it up a bit so I switched to oil paints. Not only do you have quite a bit of control but the colors are crazy vibrant as well.


These are both 8x10 oil paintings. They look better in person.
I have not  quite gotten the the cameral thing down.


Thanks for stopping by.

K. Pethoud



No comments:

Post a Comment